Home / Royal Mail / Elderly driver struck two six-year-old children on pedestrian crossing

Elderly driver struck two six-year-old children on pedestrian crossing

An elderly man has been disqualified from driving after hitting two children on a pedestrian crossing.

The incident happened on December 11, 2023, on Beecroft Road in Swindon.

Harold Small, 89, ran a red light and struck two six-year-old school children who were using a pedestrian crossing, causing serious injuries.

One child sustained a fractured arm while the other suffered cuts and bruises, said Wiltshire Police.

Small, of Corsham Road in Penhill, was sentenced for careless driving at Swindon Crown Court on February 17 after pleading guilty to the offence last month. He has also been disqualified from driving for 12 months.

The mother of one victim described the impact the incident has had on her family: “This incident has changed our lives. I wouldn’t wish the effects it has had on us on my worst enemy.”

The mother of the other victim said: “The boys stepped into the road and my whole life changed.”

DC Alex Way, from the Serious Collision Investigation Team, said: “I know this incident has had a lasting effect on all those involved, both physically and emotionally. I am pleased that today has brought some justice for the families and will hopefully prevent further victims.

“This case is a stark reminder to all drivers to pay closer attention to their driving, especially around schools where young children are using the roads and pathways.”

If you want to report someone for dangerous or careless driving please call 101, or 999 in an emergency.




Source link

About admin

Check Also

Shetland police and Dogs Against Drugs sieze suspected cannabis from Royal Mail sorting office in Lerwick

Drugs dog Bravo after previous busts in Lerwick and Scalloway. Photo: Police Scotland Drugs worth …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *