Home / Royal Mail / Buckingham Palace ‘wanted to make Prince Harry the governor-general of Canada to placate Meghan’ – but plan didn’t work because he isn’t Canadian

Buckingham Palace ‘wanted to make Prince Harry the governor-general of Canada to placate Meghan’ – but plan didn’t work because he isn’t Canadian

Buckingham Palace explored the idea of making Prince Harry the governor-general of Canada in a bid to keep him and Meghan Markle within the Royal Family, a new biography has claimed.

According to the book, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were presented with five different options ahead of the Sandringham Summit in January 2020, which ultimately set the terms of their departure from royal life.

In a new book focusing on the Prince and Princess of Wales, author Russell Myers quotes a former courtier who said the proposals put to the couple ‘clearly demonstrate that they were hardly left fending for themselves in an environment that wasn’t interested in looking after them’.

Mr Myers also cites another palace insider who claimed that ‘nothing was ever good enough’ for the Sussexes, who would later relocate to Montecito, California, and pursue financial independence away from the Firm.

One of the more striking ideas discussed was a plan for Harry to become the monarch’s representative in Canada, a Commonwealth country and former British colony. 

However, the proposal ultimately collapsed because the role of governor-general can only be held by a Canadian citizen.

A senior palace source recalled the frustration of the talks, saying: ‘We’d spent months trying to work out a role for them and every time we thought someone had cracked it, there would end up being several reasons why it couldn’t work.’

Buckingham Palace explored the idea of making Prince Harry the governor-general of Canada in a bid to keep him and Meghan Markle within the Royal Family

Mr Myers also cites another palace insider who claimed that ‘nothing was ever good enough’ for the Sussexes 

On January 13, 2020, the Monarch gathered then Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry to discuss how best to navigate Megxit at Sandringham House (pictured) - the peacekeeping talks were dubbed the 'Sandringham Summit' by the media

On January 13, 2020, the Monarch gathered then Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry to discuss how best to navigate Megxit at Sandringham House (pictured) – the peacekeeping talks were dubbed the ‘Sandringham Summit’ by the media

At the time, a poll suggested strong Canadian backing for Prince Harry to take on the position vacated by Julie Payette, with 61 per cent in favour. 

Meghan had previously lived in Toronto while filming Suits and the couple initially moved to Canada after stepping back from royal duties.

Despite discussions involving senior aides to the late Queen, the then Prince Charles and Prince William, no workable solution was agreed. 

Mr Myers also writes that Meghan left Harry ‘to face the music alone’ during the negotiations, as she returned to Canada with their son amid her growing unhappiness.

Of the Sussexes’ preferred half-in, half-out model, the palace source said they ‘got nothing in return’ from the couple, adding: ‘We already knew they were intent on signing commercial deals and that just wasn’t going to work within the model. 

So we kept saying to them, ‘How do you want this to work? Do you actually have a tangible plan that could help us?’, but we got nothing in return.’

The couple have since earned tens of millions through high-profile commercial deals, including a Netflix series, Harry’s memoir and Meghan’s lifestyle venture. 

Mr Myers’ book, William & Catherine: The Intimate Inside Story, will be published on February 26.


Source link

About admin

Check Also

Royal Mail’s Belfast distribution hub set to relocate to site under city’s landmark shipyard cranes – The Irish News

Royal Mail looks set to relocate its Belfast city centre headquarters to new distribution hub …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *