Home / Royal Mail / Arrested Andrew is pictured being released from custody: Former Prince is driven back to Sandringham from police station after becoming the first royal to be arrested in modern times

Arrested Andrew is pictured being released from custody: Former Prince is driven back to Sandringham from police station after becoming the first royal to be arrested in modern times

An ashen-faced Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been pictured leaving police custody, following his unprecedented arrest on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The former prince looked shellshocked as he cowered in the back of a car leaving Aylsham police station in Norfolk shortly after 7pm on his return to Sandringham. 

Andrew, who turned 66 today, was detained by officers during an 8am raid on his new home at Wood Farm. In events that rocked the royal family, he became the first senior royal to be arrested in modern times.

Thames Valley Police confirmed the disgraced former prince had been taken into custody just after 10am on Thursday, marking one of the worst days for the family in recent history.

Andrew is pictured leaving Aylsham police station in Norfolk shortly after 7pm on Thursday

In a statement put out just minutes after Andrew’s departure, Thames Valley Police said ‘a man in his sixties’ has been released under investigation – as images showed how the royal seemed to be trying to evade photographers following his bruising day in the cells. 

Wide-eyed and with his hands clasped in front of him, Andrew cut a lonely figure as he ditched his traditional suit and tie attire in favour of a shirt and cardigan more suited to the setting that is so far removed from the upper echelons of luxury he is used to.

The photograph of the former prince, now stripped of all his titles and privileges, is sure to haunt the royal family in the days and weeks to come. 

Police added that searches being conducted in Norfolk, relating to Andrew’s new residence, Wood Farm, have concluded. 

It is understood the former Duke of York was arrested in relation to allegations he passed sensitive information to convicted paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein while acting as a trade envoy for the British government.

Andrew’s brother King Charles III was not given any prior warning of the arrest, it emerged today, although the Daily Mail revealed Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood’s team was informed by a senior officer early on Thursday. 

The monarch said in an unprecedented statement that ‘the law must take its course’ after expressing his ‘deepest concern’ after his younger brother was held on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

Charles said: ‘I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

‘What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.

‘Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.

‘As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.’

The former Duke of York, who appeared to be trying to dodge photographers outside the police station, was in police custody for more than 10 hours after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

The former Duke of York, who appeared to be trying to dodge photographers outside the police station, was in police custody for more than 10 hours after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Andrew cut a lonely figure as he returned to the Sandringham estate this evening, dressed in a shirt and cardigan

Andrew cut a lonely figure as he returned to the Sandringham estate this evening, dressed in a shirt and cardigan

Reporters gathered at the Sandringham estate on Norfolk on Thursday night following the bombshell news of Andrew's arrest

Reporters gathered at the Sandringham estate on Norfolk on Thursday night following the bombshell news of Andrew’s arrest

A group of police officers in plain clothes arrive at Wood Farm this morning, where searches began

A group of police officers in plain clothes arrive at Wood Farm this morning, where searches began

The Prince and Princess of Wales, who have long been critical of Andrew, are said to support the statement.

The Daily Mail was the first to reveal that plain-clothes police, carried in six unmarked vehicles, had arrived at Wood Farm, where Andrew now lives, around 8am today. One man appeared to be carrying a police-issue laptop.

A convoy including at least two royal Land Rovers linked to Andrew was photographed leaving the estate less than an hour later. His arrest was confirmed at 10.08am. 

A fine art transportation company van and multiple police vehicles were also seen at Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former Berkshire residence, a few miles south of Windsor Castle.

At around 4pm, a dark blue Gander and White van was seen leaving the outer gates of the Windsor Great Park, which surrounds the Royal Lodge estate.

Gander and White describes itself as ‘one of the world’s leading fine art logistics companies, providing art storage, transport, installation and customs services’.

Two large police vans with tinted windows, each carrying several uniformed officers, were also seen leaving the property.

This morning a Thames Valley spokesperson said: ‘We have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office.’

Unmarked Police vehicles exit the gates of the Royal Lodge this afternoon after carrying out searches at two properties linked to Andrew

Aerial pictures show the scene at Royal Lodge, on the Windsor estate, today after Andrew was taken into custody

Aerial pictures show the scene at Royal Lodge, on the Windsor estate, today after Andrew was taken into custody

The unprecedented statement from the King after his brother's arrest where he said he supported the police's action and that he and the Royal Family would co-operate fully

The unprecedented statement from the King after his brother’s arrest where he said he supported the police’s action and that he and the Royal Family would co-operate fully

Today, officers searched an address in Norfolk – believed to be Wood Farm where Andrew is exiled – and an address in Berkshire, likely to be Royal Lodge in Windsor, where he lived for more than 20 years until this month. Searches at the address in Berkshire remain ongoing tonight.

Norfolk Police said it is ‘supporting’ the Thames Valley investigation but did not initally say if one of its stations was being used by detectives to interview Andrew.

Thames Valley Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: ‘Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.

‘It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.

‘We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.’

For the past 10 days detectives have been probing Andrew’s conduct as a trade envoy for the UK, after emails in the Epstein Files suggested he may have shared confidential information with his paedophile friend, including reports of his official visits and potential investment opportunities.

After serving for 22 years in the Royal Navy, he became the UK’s special representative for international trade and investment in 2001.

He stepped down in 2011 amid the furore over his friendship with Epstein.

Emails released by the US Department of Justice appeared to show the former duke sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.

One email, dated November 2010, appeared to be forwarded by Andrew five minutes after being sent by his then-special adviser Amir Patel.

King Charles seen on the front row at London Fashion Week today next to Stella McCartney at Tolu Coker's show today

King Charles seen on the front row at London Fashion Week today next to Stella McCartney at Tolu Coker’s show today

Police forces assessing whether to launch investigation 

Metropolitan Police  – examining claims that royal protection officers ‘turned a blind eye’ during visits to Epstein’s private island and separate claims Peter Mandelson passed sensitive information

Surrey Police – Seeking information regarding an allegation made in Virginia Water in the 1990s

Thames Valley Police – assessing claims that Epstein sent a young woman to the UK for a sexual encounter with Andrew at Royal Lodge in 2010

Essex Police – assessing information  which suggests Epstein trafficked sex victims to the UK via Stansted airport 

Bedfordshire Police – assessing Epstein’s use of London Luton Airport

Police Scotland – asking for information about Epstein’s use of Edinburgh Airport

West Midlands Police – assessing Epstein’s use of Birmingham Airport

Wiltshire Police – reviewing its records and supporting the Met Police in its investigation. 

Norfolk Constabulary – reviewing Epstein files but have not received specific allegations

Another, on Christmas Eve 2010, appeared to send Epstein a confidential brief on investment opportunities in the reconstruction of Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

While in custody, experts told how Andrew would be given no special treatment and would undergo the usual police formalities including fingerprinting and having his photograph taken.

In what was sure to be a jarring experience for the former prince, he would have been kept in a standard custody suite cell – entirely bare but for a mattress and toilet. 

As the disgraced Andrew languished in a cell and was interviewed by detectives today, the royal family soldiered on with business as usual. 

The King arrived at London Fashion Week in the Strand area of central London, hours after issuing a statement expressing his ‘deepest concern’ over his brother’s arrest.

As the monarch entered the building, questions about the detention were shouted. He did not respond.

Inside, Charles was met with applause at Tolu Coker’s London Fashion Week show.

Watching the British-Nigerian designer’s collection he chatted animatedly to British Fashion Council Chief Laura Weir and designer Stella McCartney on the front row.

Queen Camilla was also on an engagement in the capital this morning and was also asked about her brother-in-law. She also did not answer, but questions will no doubt continue to swirl the senior royals.

Andrew’s arrest is without precedent in the history of the modern royal family, and what happens next for the beleaguered Andrew is far from certain.

Having been released under investigation, Thames Valley detectives will continue their probe over the coming days and weeks.

Once the force has completed their investigation, the evidence they have gathered will be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service, who will decide whether any charges will be brought.

The charge of misconduct in public office is an indictable only offence, meaning it would be heard at a crown court, and is punishable by life in prison. 

Multiple British police forces are currently assessing claims in relation to the Epstein files released by the US Department of Justice.

Police officers were seen standing outside the Royal Lodge in Windsor following Andrew's arrest today

Police officers were seen standing outside the Royal Lodge in Windsor following Andrew’s arrest today 

Several are examining the disgraced financier’s use of UK airports, while the Met is looking at claims that Andrew’s protection officers ‘turned a blind eye’ to criminality on trips to Epstein’s island.

Allegations that a second woman – in addition to Andrew’s main accuser, Virginia Giuffre – was trafficked to the UK to have sex with him are also being examined. 

Following news of Andrew’s arrest today, relatives of Ms Giuffre – who died by suicide in April 2025 after years of campaigning for victims of sexual offences – shared their ‘gratitude’ to police.

Her brothers, Sky and Danny, said in a statement: ‘At last, today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty.

‘On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley Police for their investigation, and the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you.’

Yesterday, Surrey Police issued a separate appeal over claims of sexual abuse made to the FBI which are alleged to have taken place in Virginia Waters in the 1990s. 

The National Crime Agency has said it is supporting UK forces in their Epstein files probes. 

Andrew has always denied wrongdoing over his relationship with Epstein, but has made no direct statement in relation to the most recent allegations of misconduct. 

Although the arrest of Andrew for misconduct in a public office is without modern precedent, it is not the first time that the royals have faced the possibility of appearing in court. 

In 2002, Princess Anne became the first Royal Family member to be convicted of a criminal offence when she was fined £500 after one of her dogs bit two children.

Anne also became the family’s first member to have a criminal record after admitting a charge under the Dangerous Dogs Act over the incident in Windsor.

She also had several convictions for speeding, all dealt with without the embarrassment of a court appearance – in 1972, 1977, 1990 and 2000.

Anne’s daughter Zara Tindall was also banned from driving for six months in 2020 for doing 91mph in a 70mph zone. 

The last time a sitting monarch was detained is believed to be King Charles I, who was ultimately beheaded in 1649 for tyranny and treason after the English Civil War.


Source link

About admin

Check Also

Popular postmistress for Knott-End-On-Sea reaches 30 years’ milestone and hands over role to daughter

Postmistress Julie Jenkinson marks 30 years in the role Hands over the helm to her …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *