A married Newcastle dad is facing jail for stalking his mistress for the second time.
John Hall had been going between his wife and lover since 2021 until the latter ended their relationship in January 2024. A court heard that the 50-year-old handled the break-up badly and was convicted of stalking the woman in September last year.
However, Hall didn’t appear to learn his lesson as last week he once again bombarded the victim with calls and messages. Hall, of Whittingham Road, in Newbiggin Hall, appeared back in Newcastle Magistrates’ Court in custody on Thursday where he pleaded guilty to one count of stalking not involving fear of violence.
Prosecutor, Lesley Burgess, said Hall and the victim began a relationship in 2021, adding: “Initially, it was fine. They were spending time together and communicating but, a few months into the relationship, [the victim] found out he had a wife and child.
“The defendant said he was going to end the relationship with his wife. [The victim] moved in with him. The defendant then goes back to the wife. This goes on for a considerable period of time and it led to [the victim] ending the relationship. That relationship ended in January 2024.
Keep up to date with all the latest breaking news and top stories from the North East with our free newsletter
“She reportedly told the defendant not to contact her and she obtained a non-molestation order.”
The court heard that Hall, who works at Greggs, continued to contact the woman and was convicted of stalking her in September last year, when he was given a community order and made subject of a restraining order.
The restraining order was varied earlier this year to only ban Hall from attending the woman’s home. Ms Burgess added: “On February 23, [the victim] received 41 missed calls during a period of time with an unknown caller ID or Facetime or from a number she has saved as the defendant.”
The court was told that Hall called the victim a further 13 times the following day and sent her messages and a photo. Hannah Mostoufi, defending, said Hall and the victim had resumed “some sort” of relationship after his first stalking conviction.
She added: “The restraining order was varied in January at the request of [the victim]. Mr Hall was initially banned from contacting her but it was varied to just banning him from attending her home.
“He does accept on the days in question that he ought to have known he should have ceased contact after she blocked him but, prior to that, it was very much a two-way street.”
Magistrates warned Hall that he faced a possible jail sentence and adjourned the case for the preparation of a report. He was released on conditional bail to appear back at the same court on April 14.