Greencastle-based millionaire Peter Casey has announced that he intends to run for the Irish Presidency at the end of this year.
The 67-year-old, who finished as runner-up to Michael D Higgins in the 2018 Presidential Election with almost 350,000 votes, says he’s “a lot better prepared this time round”.
Mr Casey ran unsuccessfully in European and general elections since then – but he says he always intended to run for President again.
The former RTE Dragon’s Den star, who is originally from Derry, has pledged to stand up more for Ireland, if elected.
“We’re being bullied by the European Union. We need to have a President who can actually represent Ireland better on the world stage.”
READ NEXT: Royal Mail branded a ‘shambles’
“What we need to do is transfer power away from Europe,” he said.
Casey slammed US President Donald Trump for his ‘bullying’ of Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy in a meeting at the White House on Friday.
Mr Casey said President Trump and his Vice President JD Vance had “completely disgraced themselves” during the shocking Oval Office exchange, watched by the world.
“It was embarrassing, the way they treated Zelenskiy,” Mr Casey said, labelling it as bullying.
Mr Casey, whose planned accommodation centre for Ukrainian refugees at Lisfannon outside Buncrana was destroyed by fire in 2023, said he is in favour of migration.
“We need to make it easier for the good people to come into our country, and we need to make it easier to stop the bad people from coming in.”
ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
ADVERTISEMENT – CONTINUE READING BELOW
Source link